Consider the following statements:
- The definition of “Critical Wildlife Habitat” is incorporated in the Forest Rights Act, 2006.
- For the first time in India, Baigas have been given Habitat Rights.
- Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change officially decides and declares Habitat Rights for Primitive and Vulnerable Tribal Groups in any part of India.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The Scheduled Tribes and Other Traditional Forest Dwellers (Recognition of Forest Rights) Act, 2006 includes the definition of ‘critical wildlife habitat’.
- The Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs is responsible for declaring Habitat Rights for Primitive and Vulnerable Tribal Groups across India.
- Under the Forest Rights Act of 2006, the Baiga tribe was granted habitat rights for the first time, making them the first community in India to receive such rights.
- As per the Forest Rights Act, 2006, Critical Wildlife Habitats (CWH) are defined as specific areas of national parks and sanctuaries that must be kept inviolate for the purpose of wildlife conservation, based on scientific and objective criteria established on a case-by-case basis.