Consider the following statements:
- Some species of turtles are herbivores.
- Some species of fish are herbivores.
- Some species of marine mammals are herbivores.
- Some species of snakes viviparous.
Which of the statements given above arc correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2, 3 and 4 only
(c) 2 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Green sea turtles eat seagrasses and algae, though juveniles snack on crabs, sponges, and jellyfish. Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- Herbivorous fishes are fishes that eat plant material – include the Japanese angelfish, yellow bloth-rabbit fish, and tilapia. Hence, statement 2 is correct.
- Manatees and dugongs are the only herbivores among marine mammals. Their diet consists of water grasses, weeds, and algae. Hence, statement 3 is correct.
- Boa constrictors and green anacondas are two examples of viviparous snakes, meaning they give birth to live young with no eggs involved at any stage of development. Hence, statement 4 is correct.