Consider the following statements regarding ‘Earth Hour’:
- It is an initiative of UNEP and UNESCO.
- It is a movement in which the participants switch off the lights for one hour on a certain day every year.
- It is a movement to raise the awareness about the climate change and the need to save the planet.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Earth Hour is an annual event organized by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
- It began as a lights-out initiative in Sydney, Australia in 2007 and is now observed worldwide on the last Saturday of March.
- The event symbolically calls for environmental protection by promoting the conservation of energy through the voluntary reduction of non-essential lighting.
- Participants are encouraged to turn off their lights from 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm in their respective time zones. Therefore, option 1 is incorrect and option 3 is correct.