Consider the following statements:
- Moringa (drumstick tree) is a leguminous evergreen tree.
- Tamarind tree is endemic to South Asia.
- In India, most of the tamarind is collected as minor forest produce.
- India exports tamarind and seeds of moringa.
- Seeds of moringa and tamarind can be used in the production of biofuels.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1, 2, 4 and 5
(b) 3, 4 and 5
(c) 1, 3 and 4
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 5
- Moringa, also known as the drumstick tree, ben oil tree, or horseradish tree, is a plant with a long history of use for its medicinal and health benefits. Its properties include antifungal, antiviral, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory. The tree can be evergreen or semi-deciduous, making it a popular crop in semiarid regions of India. Hence, Statement 1 is not correct.
- The tamarind tree (Tamarindus indica) is a leguminous tree that produces edible fruit and is native to tropical Africa. While it is native to either Africa or the Indian subcontinent, it is also grown in Southeast Asia and Africa. Therefore, the statement 2 claiming that it is only native to one of these regions is incorrect.
- Most of the tamarind crop is collected as minor forest produce, which is a correct statement.
- India is one of the largest exporters of both tamarind and Moringa seeds, which is a true statement.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.