Consider the following statements:
- Maize can be used for the production of starch.
- Oil extracted from maize can be a feedstock for biodiesel.
- Alcoholic beverages can be produced by using maize.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 only.
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- The process of producing maize starch is known as wet milling.
- This process entails grinding softened maize and separating various components such as corn oil seeds (germs), gluten (proteins), fibers (husk), and ultimately obtaining pure starch. Hence, statement is correct.
- Oil extracted from maize that can be converted into ethanol or biodiesel. Hence, statement 2 is correct.
- The type of alcohol in the alcoholic drinks we drink is a chemical called ethanol. To make alcohol, you need to put grains, fruits, or vegetables through a process called fermentation. The common source of ethanol is maize and other grains. Hence, statement 3 is correct.