Consider the following statements:
- Jet streams occur in the Northern Hemisphere only.
- Only some cyclones develop an eye.
- The temperature inside the eye of a cyclone is nearly 10°C lesser than that of the surroundings.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 2 only
(d) 1 and 3 only
- The occurrence of jet streams is not limited to just one hemisphere and can be observed in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, making statement 1 incorrect.
- While mature extra-tropical cyclones often possess well-formed eyes, the presence of an eye is not a necessary attribute of these storms. However, rapidly intensifying storms can develop a small and circular eye known as a pinhole eye, making statement 2 correct.
- Contrary to statement 3, the eye of a tropical cyclone is generally warmer, not colder, and it is this warmth that drives the storm.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.