Consider the following statements:
- It was during the reign of Iltutmish that Chengiz Khan reached the Indus in pursuit of the fugitive Khwarezm prince.
- It was during the reign of Muhammad-bin-Tughluq that Taimur occupied Multan and crossed the Indus.
- It was during the reign of Deva Raya II of Vijayanagara Empire that Vasco da Gama reached the coast of Kerala.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 2 and 3 only
- Statement 1 is correct as during the reign of Iltutmish, Chenghiz Khan, the founder of the Mongol Empire, defeated Jalal al-Din near the banks of Indus.
- Statement 2 is not correct as Muhammad Bin Tughluq was the sultan of Delhi from 1325 to 1351 AD, while Timur invaded India in 1398 AD. Timur crossed the Indus River and ravaged Multan and Punjab, but Muhammad Bin Tughluq was not the ruling sultan during that time.
- Statement 3 is not correct as Deva Raya II ruled the Vijayanagara Empire from 1424 to 1446 AD, while Vasco Da Gama reached the coast of Kerala in 1498 AD, which is almost 50 years after the reign of Deva Raya II. Therefore, it cannot be true that Vasco Da Gama was present during the reign of Deva Raya II.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.