Consider the following statements:
- In the revenue administration of Delhi Sultanate, the in-charge of revenue collection was known as ‘Amil’.
- The lqta system of Sultans of Delhi was an ancient indigenous institution.
- The office of ‘Mir Bakshi’ came into existence during the reign of Khalji Sultans of Delhi.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Function: Collecting revenue during the sultanate era in North India
- Akbar’s directive: Extend loans to peasants in times of need and encourage them to show high-quality seeds
- Conclusion: Statement 1 is correct
- Mir Bakshi:
- Origin: Came into existence during the reign of Mughal Emperor Akbar
- Role: Head of Mughal army responsible for maintaining soldier records, salaries, promotions, and appointments; distribution of grants, lands, and rewards based on performance
- History: First appointed by Akbar in 1574; office existed until the decline of Mughal Empire in the 18th century
- Conclusion: Statement 3 is not correct
- Iqta System:
- Description: Land of empire divided into large and small tracts called Iqta and assigned to soldiers, officers, and nobles
- Origin: Introduced by Delhi sultans; originally of Central Asian and West Asian origin, not an ancient indigenous institution
- Conclusion: Statement 2 is not correct
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.