Consider the following statements in respect of Trade Related Analysis of Fauna and Flora in Commerce (TRAFFIC):
- TRAFFIC is a bureau under United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- The mission of TRAFFIC is to ensure that trade in wild plants and animals is not a threat to the conservation of nature.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2017 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- TRAFFIC is a leading non-governmental organization working globally on trade in wild animals and plants in the context of both biodiversity conservation and sustainable development. Hence the statement 2 is correct and statement 1 is not correct.
- It was established in 1976 with its headquarters in Cambridge, UK.
- It is a joint initiative by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).