Consider the following statements in respect of the Laureus World Sports Award which was instituted in the year 2000:
- American golfer Tiger Woods was the first winner of this award.
- The award was received mostly by ‘Formula One’ players so far.
- Roger Federer received this award maximum number of times compared to others.
Which of the above statements are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Laureus World Sports Award is an annual event that was first held in 2000 to honor the greatest and most inspirational sporting triumphs of the year.
- The event showcases the work of Laureus Sport for Good and shortlists for six categories (Sportswoman, Sportsman, Team, Breakthrough, Comeback, and Action) are created by votes from more than 1,000 sports media from over 70 countries.
- The shortlist for World Athlete of the Year with a Disability is provided by the International Paralympic Committee.
- The winners in each shortlisted category are voted by the Laureus World Sports Academy, which is a unique group of sporting legends.
- The Academy can also grant discretionary awards, such as the Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award. The first winner of this award was the American golfer, Tiger Woods. Therefore, statement 1 is correct.
- While tennis players have won the award most times (11 times). Hence, statement 2 is incorrect.
Roger Federer has received the Laureus World Sports Award the most number of times (5 times) compared to any other athlete. Therefore, statement 3 is correct.