Consider the following statements in respect of the ICC World Test Championship:
- The finalists were decided by the number of matches they won.
- New Zealand was ranked ahead of England because it won more matches than England.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
ICC World Test Championship (2019–2021)
- New Zealand beat India in the inaugural ICC World Test Championship (WTC) Final to become the first World Test Champion. This is New Zealand’s first ICC title in two decades.
- The finalists were decided by the percentage of available points collected not by the number of matches they won. Hence, Statement 1 is not correct.
- New Zealand has ranked ahead of England due to the percentage of points they collected not because of the match they won. Hence, Statement 2 is not correct.