Consider the following statements in respect of the 32nd Summer Olympics:
- The official motto for this Olympics is ‘A New World’.
- Sport Climbing, Surfing, Skateboarding, Karate and Baseball are included in this
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2021 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
- Statement 1 is incorrect. The motto of the 2020 Summer Olympics is indeed “Faster, Higher, Stronger – Together”, as confirmed by the official website of the International Olympic Committee.
- Statement 2 is correct. Six new sports were added to the program for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics: baseball/softball, karate, skateboarding, sport climbing, and surfing.
- The name of the mascot for the 2020 Summer Olympics is Miraitowa, which is derived from the Japanese words “mirai” (future) and “towa” (eternity).
- The mascot represents both tradition and innovation, and was designed by Ryo Taniguchi.
- Tokyo previously hosted the Summer Olympics in 1964, but it is not the first Asian city to host the event twice.
- The honor goes to Seoul, South Korea, which hosted the Summer Olympics in 1988 and will host the Winter Olympics in 2022.