Consider the following statements:
- In India, the Himalayas are spread over five States only.
- Western Ghats are spread over five States only.
- Pulicat Lake is spread over two States only.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2017 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 3 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1 and 3 only
- Statement 1 is not correct: Indian Himalayan Region spans across 12 Indian States, including Jammu & Kashmir, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim, Tripura, and two districts of Assam, namely Dima Hasao and Karbi Anglong, as well as Darjeeling and Kalimpong in West Bengal.
- Statement 2 is not correct: Western Ghats extend over six states, which are Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Goa, Maharashtra, and Gujarat.
- Statement 3 is correct: Pulicat Lake, the second-largest brackish water lake in India, is located in two states, namely Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.