Consider the following statements:
- Coal sector was nationalized by the Government of India under Indira Gandhi.
- Now, coal blocks are allocated on lottery basis.
- Till recently, India imported coal to meet the shortages of domestic supply, but now India is self-sufficient in coal production.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Statement 1 is correct as the coal sector in India was nationalized in two phases under the Indira Gandhi government in 1972.
- Statement 2 is incorrect as coal blocks are allocated through auctions, not on a lottery basis.
- Statement 3 is incorrect as the coal sector in India is not monopolistic.
- India holds the 5th largest coal reserves in the world, but due to limited production capacity by certain firms, it imports coal to meet the domestic supply shortfall. However, the country is not self-sufficient in coal production.