Consider the following statements:
Chlorofluorocarbons, known as ozone-depleting substances, are used.
- in the production of plastic foams
- in the production of tubeless tyres
- in cleaning certain electronic components
- as pressurizing agents in aerosol cans
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) 1, 2 and 3 only
(b) 4 only
(c) 1, 3 and 4 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which are classified as ozone-depleting substances, find their applications in the production of plastic foams, cleaning electronic components, and serving as pressurizing agents in aerosol cans.
- CFCs are composed of carbon, chlorine, and fluorine atoms and are harmless and non-flammable.
- They are commonly utilized as refrigerants, solvents, blowing agents for foams and packaging materials, and in the production of aerosol sprays.