Consider the following statements:
- Bidibidi is a large refugee settlement in north-western Kenya.
- Some people who fled from South Sudan civil war live in Bidibidi.
- Some people who fled from civil war in Somalia live in Dadaab refugee complex in Kenya.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2 only
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 3 only
The Bidi Bidi refugee settlement:
- It is one of several located in Northern Uganda.
- Covers an area of 250 square kilometers, but Statement 1 is incorrect.
- Houses over 270,000 refugees, making it the biggest refugee camp in the world.
- Home to mostly South Sudanese population, hence Statement 2 is correct.
- Inhabitants fled due to the threat of murder or imprisonment from rebels or government soldiers.
Dadaab refugee complex:
- Initially established as a temporary haven for 90,000 refugees fleeing the 1991 clan fighting.
- Now a sprawling complex of five camps with makeshift cinemas and soccer leagues.
- The third largest city in Kenya after Nairobi and Mombasa.
- Established 30 years ago to accommodate Somalis fleeing their country’s civil war, hence Statement 3 is correct.