Consider the following statements:
A digital signature is
- an electronic record that identifies the certifying authority issuing it
- used to serve as a proof of identity of an individual to access information or server on Internet
- an electronic method of signing an electronic document and ensuring that the original content is unchanged
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Statement 1 is incorrect as a digital signature is not an electronic signature, rather it is an electronic method that verifies the authenticity of an electronic document.
- Statement 2 is also incorrect as a digital certificate is an electronic record that verifies the identity of the certifying authority that issued it, not the identity of an individual for a specific purpose.
- Statement 3 is correct, as a digital signature is a secure electronic way of signing an electronic document and guarantees that the original content has not been altered.