Consider the following rivers:
Which of the above are tributaries of Godavari?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) 1, 2 and 3
(b) 2, 3 and 4
(c) 1, 2 and 4
(d) 2 and 3 only
- Godavari River
- The Godavari River, also known as Dakshin Ganga, is the largest river in Peninsular India, covering an area of around 3 lakh sq. km and flowing through several states, including Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, parts of Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, and the Union Territory of Puducherry (Yanam).
- It originates in Trimbakeshwar, Nashik district of Maharashtra and has many left bank tributaries such as Dharna, Penganga, Wainganga, Wardha, Pranahita, Pench, Kanhan, Sabari, and Indravati, as well as right bank tributaries like Pravara, Mula, Manjra, Peddavagu, and Maner.
- Vamshadhara River
- The Vamshadhara River, also known as Banshadhara, is a significant river that flows eastward between Rushikulya and Godavari in the states of Odisha and Andhra Pradesh.
- It originates in the border of Thuamul Rampur in the Kalahandi district and Kalyansinghpur in Rayagada district of Odisha and flows for about 254 km before joining the Bay of Bengal at Kalingapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- Pennar River
- The Pennar River rises in the Chenna Kasava hill of the Nandidurg range, in Chikkaballapura district of Karnataka and flows towards the east, eventually draining into the Bay of Bengal.
- It has a total length of 597 km, and its basin covers approximately 55 thousand sq. km, extending over the states of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
Therefore, option (d) is the correct answer.