Consider the following pairs:
Tradition — State
- Chapchar Kut Festival — Mizoram
- Khongjom Parba ballad — Manipur
- Thang-Ta Dance — Sikkim
Which of the pairs given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2
(c) 1 and 2
(d) 2 and 3
- Chapchar Kut, the largest festival of the Mizos, is celebrated in March following the completion of the jhum operation, signifying the arrival of spring. Therefore, statement 1 is accurate.
- Khongjom Parba is a revered style of ballad singing from Manipur that utilizes the Dholak (drum). It narrates the heroic battle fought by Manipuris against the mighty British Empire in 1891. This captivating musical art form is widely cherished in Manipur, evoking sentiments of patriotism and nationalism among the people. Thus, statement 2 is correct.
- Thang-Ta is a traditional martial dance of Manipur. While Manipur dance encompasses a wide range of forms, such as Ras, Sankirtana, and Thang-Ta, it is important to note that Thang-Ta is not a dance form derived from martial arts drills promoted by the kings of Manipur. Therefore, statement 3 is incorrect.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.