Consider the following pairs:
Sea Bordering Country
- Adriatic Sea – Albania
- Black Sea – Croatia
- Caspian Sea – Kazakhstan
- Mediterranean Sea – Morocco
- Red Sea – Syria
Which of the pairs given above are correctly matched?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2019 Prelims]
(a) 1, 2 and 4 only
(b) 1, 3 and 4 only
(c) 2 and 5 only
(d) 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Pair 1 is correctly matched: The Adriatic Sea lies between the Italian Peninsula and the Balkan peninsula, and is bordered by Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Italy, Montenegro and Slovenia.
- Pair 2 is not correctly matched: The Black Sea, which is not bordered by Croatia, is located in southeastern Europe and is bordered by Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, Russia, Turkey, and Ukraine.
- Pair 3 is correctly matched: The Caspian Sea, located between Europe and Asia, is the world’s largest inland body of water, and is bordered by Azerbaijan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Russia, and Turkmenistan.
- Pair 4 is correctly matched: The Mediterranean Sea is an intercontinental sea that separates Europe from Africa, and is bordered by Algeria, Croatia, Egypt, France, Greece, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Libya, Monaco, Morocco, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, and Tunisia.
- Pair 5 is not correctly matched: The Red Sea is a narrow waterway that extends from Suez, Egypt to the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait and is bordered by Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Yemen, but not by Syria.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.