Consider the following pairs:
- Namcha Barwa — Garhwal Himalaya
- Nanda Devi — Kumaon Himalaya
- Nokrek — Sikkim Himalaya
Which of the pairs given above is/are correctly matched?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3
(d) 3 only
- Pair 1 is not correctly Matched: Namcha Barwa, situated in a remote area of southeastern Tibet, is not frequently visited by outsiders, while the Garhwal Himalayas are located in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. Namcha Barwa stands within the Great Bend of the Yarlung Tsangpo River, which enters an impressive gorge through the Himalayas and emerges as the Siang before eventually becoming the Brahmaputra.
- Pair 2 is correctly Matched: Kumaun Himalayas, a section of the Himalayan mountain range situated in northern India that spans 200 miles (320 km) from the Sutlej River in the west to the Kali River in the east. This range is mostly located within the state of Uttarakhand, to the northwest of Nepal, and includes part of the Siwalik Range in the south and part of the Great Himalayas in the north. With an elevation of 25,646 feet (7,817 meters), Nanda Devi is the tallest peak in this range.
- Pair 3 is not correctly Matched: Situated on the Tura Range, which is part of the Meghalaya Plateau in northeast India, the Nokrek Biosphere Reserve boasts an average altitude of 600 meters.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.