Consider the following pairs:
|Country||Region often mentioned in the news|
How many pairs given above are correctly matched?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) Only one pair
(b) Only two pairs
(c) Only three pairs
(d) All four pairs
- Anatolia is a large peninsula in Western Asia and covers a major part of Turkey.
- It can be defined geographically as the area bounded to the north by the Black Sea, to the east and south by the Southeastern Taurus Mountains and the Mediterranean Sea, and to the west by the Aegean Sea and Sea of Marmara.
- Culturally, the area also includes the islands of the eastern Aegean Sea.
- In most prehistoric periods, the regions to the south and west of Anatolia were under the influence of Syria and the Balkans.
- The Amhara Region, officially the Amhara National Regional State, is a regional state in northern Ethiopia and the homeland of the Amhara people.
- The Amhara are one of the two largest ethnolinguistic groups in Ethiopia.
- They constitute more than one-fourth of the country’s population.
- The Amharic language is an Afro-Asiatic language belonging to the Southwest Semitic group.
- Cabo Delgado is a province in northern Mozambique.
- It has an area of 82,625 square kilometers and a population of 2,320,261.
- As well as bordering Mtwara Region in the neighboring country of Tanzania, it borders the provinces of Nampula and Niassa.
- Catalonia is a region in northeastern Spain.
- It is known for the lively beach resorts of Costa Brava as well as the Pyrenees Mountains.
- Languages spoken here are the Catalan language and Spanish Language.