Consider the following pairs:
|Country||Important reason for being in the news recently|
|1.||Chad||—||Setting up of permanent military base by China|
|2.||Guinea||—||Suspension of Constitution and Government by military|
|3.||Lebanon||—||Severe and prolonged economic depression|
|4.||Tunisia||—||Suspension of Parliament by President|
How many pairs given above are correctly, matched?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) Only one pair
(b) Only two pairs
(c) Only three pairs
(d) All four pairs
- Chad is a landlocked country in north-central Africa.
- Chad is rich in gold and uranium and has recently become an oil-exporting state.
- China does not have a permanent military base in Chad. Hence, pair 1 is incorrect.
- Guinea is a country in West Africa, bordered on the west by the Atlantic Ocean.
- The president of Guinea was detained after a successful military coup led by Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, the head of Guinean Special Forces. Hence, pair 2 is correct.
- Lebanon is a country located on the eastern shore of the Mediterranean Sea.
- Lebanon is an import-dependent country that has been struggling with a huge economic meltdown, causing inflation, unemployment, and poverty.
- The badly damaged port facility, Lebanon’s largest maritime gateway, threatens food security by making essential items expensive.
- Lebanon had defaulted on a Eurobond repayment in March 2020. Hence, pair 3 is correct.
- Tunisia is a country in North Africa.
- Tunisia’s accessible Mediterranean Sea coastline and strategic location have attracted conquerors and visitors through the ages, and its ready access to the Sahara has brought its people into contact with inhabitants of the African interior.
- Tunisia’s President Kais Saied extended his months-long suspension of parliament until new elections in December 2022 and called for a July referendum on constitutional reforms. Hence, pair 4 is correct.