Consider the following minerals:
Which of the minerals given above is/are required by human body for the contraction of muscles?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2013 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Iron is present in the muscle in the form of myoglobin.
- Myoglobin has the capacity to store oxygen.
- Hence statement 1 is correct.
- Calcium is the most common and abundant mineral in the body.
- It is important for healthy bones and teeth, helps the muscle relax and contract, important in nerve functioning, blood clotting etc.
- Hence statement 2 is correct.
- Sodium is needed for proper fluid balance, nerve transmission, and muscle contraction.
- Hence statement 3 is correct.