Consider the following events:
- The first democratically elected communist party government formed in a State in India.
- India’s then largest bank, ‘Imperial Bank of India’, was renamed ‘State Bank of India’.
- Air India was nationalised and became the national carrier.
- Goa became a part of independent India.
Which of the following is the correct chronological sequence of the above events?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2018 Prelims]
(a) 4 – 1 – 2 – 3
(b) 3 – 2 – 1 – 4
(c) 4 – 2 – 1 – 3
(d) 3 – 1 – 2 – 4
- In 1953, the government of India passed the Air Corporations Act and purchased a majority stake in Air India from Tata Sons, thereby nationalizing the airline.
- In 1955, the Government of India nationalized the Imperial Bank of India, with the Reserve Bank of India taking a 60% stake in the bank and changing its name to State Bank of India.
- In 1957, the Communist Party of India won sixty seats out of 126 in the first general election held to the Kerala State Legislative Assembly, forming the first democratically elected communist party government in a state in India.
- On December 18, 1961, Operation Vijay was launched by the Indian Government to bring Goa, which had been under Portuguese rule, back into India. This led to the liberation of Goa, which became an independent state of India on the same day.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.