Consider the following diseases
Which of the above diseases has/have been eradicated in India?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 3 only
(c) 1, 2 and 3
- The Variola virus caused a severe infectious disease known as smallpox.
- Smallpox has been eradicated, and there have been no cases of naturally occurring smallpox since 1977.
- The disease mainly spread through direct and prolonged face-to-face contact between individuals.
- Diphtheria is a bacterial infection that affects the mucous membranes in the nose and throat.
- The bacteria responsible for causing diphtheria is known as Corynebacterium diphtheriae.
- Chickenpox is an infection caused by the Varicella-zoster virus (VZV).
- The virus can spread through various ways, such as saliva, coughing, sneezing, or contact with fluid from the blisters.