Consider the following countries:
Which of the above have borders with Afghanistan?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
(a) 1, 2 and 5 only
(b) 1, 2, 3 and 4 only
(c) 3, 4 and 5 only
(d) 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Afghanistan is a landlocked country located in Central South Asia, bordered by Pakistan to the east and south, Iran to the west, and the Central Asian states of Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan to the north.
- The country also has a small border with Xinjiang, China, in the extreme northeast, at the end of the long and narrow Vakhan (Wakhan Corridor).
- Afghanistan’s landscape can be divided into the central highlands, the northern plains, and the southwestern plateau, with tall mountains and dry deserts covering most of the country.
- Summers are hot and dry, while winters are extremely cold, especially in the north of the Hindu Kush mountains, located on the eastern side of the country near Pakistan and Tajikistan.
- Due to its isolation from the waters of the Indian Ocean by the mountains, most parts of the country have a dry climate throughout the year.
- The Kabul River and the Amu Darya are the two main rivers, with the former meeting the Arabian Sea by joining the Indus. The latter originates from the glaciers of the Pamir.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.