Consider the following:
- Calcutta Unitarian Committee
- Tabernacle of New Dispensation
- Indian Reform Association
Keshab Chandra Sen is associated with the establishment of which of the above?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2016 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Raja Ram Mohan Roy established the Calcutta Unitarian Committee, while Keshab Chandra Sen was a renowned social reformer from Bengal who became a member of the Brahmo Samaj in 1856.
- On January 24, 1868, Keshab laid the foundation stone of his mandir, known as the Tabernacle of New Dispensation, and led a procession to the proposed site, accompanied by his followers performing sankirtan. This was the first Brahmo street procession in Calcutta, but it was criticized by the Adi Samaj as a degradation of Brahmoism.
- Keshab was also a member of the Indian Reform Association, which aimed to create public awareness against child marriage, promote the status of women, and legalize the Brahmo form of marriage by establishing a minimum age for marriage.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.