Certain species of which one of the following organisms are well known as cultivators of fungi?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2022 Prelims]
- Fungus-growing ants (Attini) are in reality unique fungus-culturing insects.
- There are several hundred species in some dozen genera, of which Acromyrmex and Atta are the conspicuous leaf-cutters.
- The center of their activities is the fungus garden, which is also the site of the queen and brood.
- The garden, in most species, is made from fresh green leaves or other vegetal material.
- The ants forage for this, forming distinct trails to the vegetation that is being harvested.