Brominated flame retardants are used in many household products like mattresses and upholstery. Why is there some concern about their use?
- They are highly resistant to degradation in the environment.
- They are able to accumulate in humans and animals.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Brominated flame retardants
- In the European Union the use of certain BFRs is banned or restricted; however, due to their persistence in the environment there are still concerns about the risks these chemicals pose to public health.
- BFR-treated products, whether in use or waste, leach BFRs into the environment and contaminate the air, soil and water.
- These contaminants may then enter the food chain where they mainly occur in food of animal origin, such as fish, meat, milk and derived products.