Among the following States, which one has the most suitable climatic conditions for the cultivation of a large variety of orchids with minimum cost of production, and can develop an export-oriented industry in this field?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2011 Prelims]
(a) Andhra Pradesh
(b) Arunachal Pradesh
(c) Madhya Pradesh
(d) Uttar Pradesh
The Orchids of Arunachal Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh is known as the Orchid State of India due to its favorable ecological conditions and climate variations.
- About 60% of the Indian variety of orchids can be found in Arunachal Pradesh.
- Orchid flowers require a temperature of 20°C and a humidity level of 80%.
- Orchid populations decrease as one moves away from the tropics towards the poles.
- Orchids are a unique plant species that thrive in warm tropical moist areas.
- Orchids are found in both terrestrial and epiphytic forms in Arunachal Pradesh.
Therefore, option (b) is the correct answer.