A person stood alone in a desert on a dark night and wanted to reach his village which was situated 5 km east of the point where he was standing. He had no instruments to find the direction, but he located the polestar. The most convenient way now to reach his village is to walk in the
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) direction facing the polestar
(b) direction opposite to the polestar
(c) direction keeping the polestar to his left
(d) direction keeping the polestar to his right
- In the past, stars were used to find directions at night.
- The Pole Star, also known as the North Star, always points to the north and remains stationary in the sky.
- It is located in the direction of the Earth’s axis.
- The Pole Star cannot be seen from the southern hemisphere.
- A convenient way to navigate towards a destination is to walk in the direction where the Pole Star is on the left side.
Therefore, option (c) is the correct answer.