A particular State in India has the following characteristics:
- It is located on the same latitude which passes through northern Rajasthan.
- It has over 80% of its area under forest cover.
- Over 12% of forest cover constituted Protected Area Network in this State.
Which one among the following States has all the above characteristics?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2012 Prelims]
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
(c) Himachal Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Sikkim, Uttar Pradesh, and Haryana are states located at the same latitude as Rajasthan.
- According to the Forest Report of 2011, Arunachal Pradesh has the highest forest cover of 80%, covering a total area of 67,410 sq km.
- Mizoram has the highest percentage of forest cover with 90.68%, followed by Lakshadweep with 84.56%.
- Protected Area Network constitutes over 12% of the forest cover in Arunachal Pradesh.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.