A new optical disc format known as the Blue-ray Disc (BD) is becoming popular. In what way is it different from the traditional DVD?
- DVD supports Standard Definition video while BD supports High Definition video.
- Compare to a DVD, the BD format has several times more storage capacity.
- Thickness of BD is 2-4 mm while that of DVD is 1.2 mm.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2011 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Difference between Blu-Ray and DVD:
- A standard DVD holds 4.7 gigabytes of data. On the other hand, a double-layer Blu-ray disc can hold a massive 50 GB of data. Hence, statement 2 is correct.
- DVD supports Standard Definition video while BD supports High Definition video. A DVD is a standard definition device, Blu-Ray is made for HD. Hence, statement 1 is correct.
- The DVD is made up of two discs of 0.6mm thickness i.e. total of 1.2 mm, Blue-ray disc also has a thickness of 1.2 mm. Hence, statement 3 is incorrect.