A constitutional government by definition is a
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) government by legislature
(b) popular government
(c) multi-party government
(d) limited government
A: Option d
- The powers of the government are limited by means of the Fundamental Rights enshrined in the Part-III of the Indian Constitution, which are essentially given to us against the state actions.
- Hence a constitutional government by definition is a form of limited government. Hence, Option 4 is correct.
- A constitutional government may not have a legislature. Hence, Option 1 is NOT correct.
- For example, the USA has a constitutional government but a Presidential form of Government.
- It could be a bi-party governmentand need not be a popular government and can instead be a monarchy. Hence, Option 2 and 3 are NOT correct.
- A popular government may be defined as is controlled by the people by the election of executives and legislators.
- A popular government may not always have a democratically elected government.
- China has a constitution, but no multiparty system. Hence option 4 fits with the definition of a constitutional government.