Which of the following National Parks is unique in being a swamp with floating vegetation that supports a rich biodiversity?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2015 Prelims]
(a) Bhitarkanika National Park
(b) Keibul Lamjao National Park
(c) Keoladeo Ghana National Park
(d) Sultanpur National Park
- The Keibul Lamjao National Park is a national park in the state of Manipur.
- It is the only floating national park in the world, and an integral part of Loktak Lake.
- The national park is characterized by floating decomposed plant material locally called phumdi.
- It was created in 1966 as a wildlife sanctuary to preserve the natural habitat of the endangered Eld’s deer.
- In 1977, it was gazetted as national park.