What is the use of biochar in farming?
- Biochar can be used as a part of the growing medium in vertical farming.
- When biochar is a part of the growing medium, it promotes the growth of nitrogen-fixing microorganisms.
- When biochar is a part of the growing medium, it enables the growing medium to retain water for longer time.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2020 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Statement 1 is correct as biochar, a charcoal-like substance created by heating biomass in the absence of oxygen, can significantly increase output in vertical farming.
- Statement 2 is also correct as biochar has the potential to boost the natural ability of legumes to fix nitrogen in the soil, decrease soil nitrogen emission, and increase nitrogen use efficiency and retention in the soil by supporting the life of nitrogen-fixing microorganisms.
- Statement 3 is also correct as biochar’s porous nature can improve soil water retention, providing plants with more available water for a longer duration.