With reference to the usefulness of the by-products of sugar industry which of the following statements is/are correct?
- Bagasse can be used as biomass fuel for the generation of energy.
- Molasses can be used as one of the feedstocks for the production of synthetic chemical fertilizers.
- Molasses can be used for the production of ethanol.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2013 Prelims]
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Production – Bagasse is the fibrous residue left after extracting juice from sugarcane or sorghum.
- Fuel – Sugar mills use it as a primary fuel source to generate heat energy and electricity. It is also used to produce ethanol, which is a popular fuel in some countries.
- Pulp, Paper, and Board Production – In countries like India, China, Thailand, etc., it is used as a substitute for wood in the production of pulp, paper, and board.
- Cattle Feed – Bagasse can be used as cattle feed when mixed with molasses and enzymes and then fermented.
- Production – Molasses is the thick syrup that results from the refining of sugarcane or sugar beets into sugar.
- Sweetening and Flavouring Foods – Molasses is used to sweeten and flavour a variety of foods.
- Commercial Brown Sugar Production – It is used in the production of fine commercial brown sugar.
- Baking and Cooking – Molasses is used in baking and cooking.
- Ethanol Production – It is a prime ingredient in the distillation of rum and brewing beer.
- Cattle Feed – Molasses is also used as a feed for cattle as it contains a good amount of vitamin B6 and minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese.
Therefore, option (d) is the correct answer.