What was/were the object/objects of Queen Victoria’s Proclamation (1858)?
- To disclaim any intention to annex Indian States.
- To place the Indian administration under the British Crown.
- To regulate East India Company’s trade with India.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
[UPSC Civil Services Exam – 2014 Prelims]
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
- Statement 1 is correct as the objective of Queen Victoria’s proclamation of 1858 was to disclaim any intention to annex Indian States.
- Statement 2 is correct as the proclamation was issued after the 1857 revolt to end the rule of the East India Company and transfer all powers to the British Crown.
- Statement 3 is not correct as the proclamation aim to improve the administrative machinery of supervision and control over the Indian government.
Therefore, option (a) is the correct answer.